Robocleaner Update..

So, I’ve been progressing with getting my Robocleaner game on the marketplace (I’ve renamed the game from Sweepy Cleaner for originalities sake). It’s been taking a lot longer then initially I thought it would mainly because I wanted to completely redo the graphics and as anyone will find, graphics can be quite time consuming. On the plus side my knowledge of making graphics and using Photoshop and Illustrator has increased ten-fold.

Things I’ve added so far:

A menu system with options for muting sound and changing the control type from tilt to touch. Touch being useful if your not upright when playing. I also improved slightly my background image and removed the eyes from my hoover. Less is clearly more when it comes to hoover eyes since I think my Cyclopean hoover looks more bad ass then when it had two and actually it’s eye is now what used to be it’s nose 🙂

So far I’ve only made 4 levels out of 8. I’ve got the living room, bathroom, dining room and kitchen finished. I’m trying my best to make each room quite unique to the last and also slightly increase the difficulty as you progress, mainly by introducing more clutter and extra  stuff that harms you.

Bathroom

I’ve added Hazards which are like regular furniture except you can pass straight through them while taking damage e.g water, spilt coffee, broken glass etc..

Additionally a new little chap I’ve added which I’m quite pleased with is a Dust Goblin, he roams around the maps he’s on and if he comes into contact with any dust, he turns it into a Dust Bomb that he hurls at you, if it hits you, you take damage and you also die outright if you touch the goblin. He adds a significant challenge to the game and in later levels there will be multiple goblins, potentially of different types!

I’ve added decorative particle effects into some of the levels to add a bit of realism. In the bathroom for example, the bath tap is running and there’s steam and water droplets splashing onto the floor and on the kitchen map there’s a kettle with steam particles being puffed out.

Sometimes adding cool little things like the particle effects that don’t take much effort can make a nice difference to the polish of a game so I like to add them. You just have to limit yourself on some things otherwise the game would never get finished. Luckily the programming is pretty minimal at the moment since most was done for my course work (except the new stuff) and adding levels is just a few lines of code or less depending on what objects are present in it.

So there it is so far, hopefully I’ll get the other 4 levels done soon and can get it on the  marketplace asap with maybe an on-line scoreboard and time related scores for each level. It’s certainly a nice feeling seeing the game come together and hopefully not just be a uni coursework submission but an standalone fun little game.

Advertisements